Calendar Calendar

Kurt Knispel' mission (King Tiger), campaign Mein Panzerkampf

frinik
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Kurt Knispel' mission (King Tiger), campaign Mein Panzerkampf

Post by frinik on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 pm

There\s only one recorded duel between the Tiger II and the Pershing which took place in late March or April in Eastern Germany. The Tiger II fired first but the shot went wide. The Pershing shot next but while the shot was short but an incredible feat of luck the shot hit the ground ricocheted and hit the Tiger II underneath where the armour was thin. The shot penetrated and hit the ammo which blew up taking the entire unfortunate crew with it in a fiery explosion.
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:36 pm

frinik wrote:There\s only one recorded duel between the Tiger II and the Pershing which took place in late March or April in Eastern Germany. The Tiger II fired first but the shot went wide. The Pershing shot next but while the shot was short but an incredible feat of luck the shot hit the ground ricocheted and hit the Tiger II underneath where the armour was thin. The shot penetrated and hit the ammo which blew up taking the entire unfortunate crew with it in a fiery explosion.

I believe that is an unconfirmed report based on a book by the US tank commander.  I think you are referring to an incident in Dessau, Germany in April, 1945.  There are no German records of any Tiger II units within 75 miles of Dessau in April 1945.  There are also no photos of the destroyed Tiger II in Dessau.  Given the notoriety of the Tiger II and the fact that the US occupied the area it is reasonable to think that there would be plenty of photographs of such a remarkable event as the first duel between the new Pershing and Germany's biggest tank.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/131627-kingtiger-vs-superpershing-the-true-fact/
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 am

Thanks Tanker. I read the whole exchange .Phew what a toxic community! The account I told I read in another forum; I think it was the Axis Forum a few years back. At that time the story was not questioned. Now the record is straight and no such duel ever took place.

As for calling the Tiger II junk in fact when properly maintained it was a good tank and no worse than the other big cats:

From 15 December 1944, the statistics show much improved reliability. 80 percent of Tiger IIs were fully operational, as compared to only 61% of Panthers and 72% of the always reliable Panzer IVs. Subsequent failures, all duly noted, were attributed only to the lack of lubricants and spare parts, a common fate shared by all units until May 1945.

lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I've found out that Allies on July 1944 had the next appropriate tank destroyer to fight with a "Tiger". All of them were equipped with 17pdr gun (76mm).
    1. Tank M4 Sherman "Firefly" (presented in STA) were built ~2000pcs

2. Tank Mk VIII Challenger (A30) were built ~500pcs

3. SPG M10 "Achilles" were built ~800pcs

4. SPG Mk I "Archer" were built ~700pcs
    Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Tanker wrote:
    frinik wrote:There\s only one recorded duel between the Tiger II and the Pershing which took place in late March or April in Eastern Germany. The Tiger II fired first but the shot went wide. The Pershing shot next but while the shot was short but an incredible feat of luck the shot hit the ground ricocheted and hit the Tiger II underneath where the armour was thin. The shot penetrated and hit the ammo which blew up taking the entire unfortunate crew with it in a fiery explosion.

I believe that is an unconfirmed report based on a book by the US tank commander.  I think you are referring to an incident in Dessau, Germany in April, 1945.  There are no German records of any Tiger II units within 75 miles of Dessau in April 1945.  There are also no photos of the destroyed Tiger II in Dessau.  Given the notoriety of the Tiger II and the fact that the US occupied the area it is reasonable to think that there would be plenty of photographs of such a remarkable event as the first duel between the new Pershing and Germany's biggest tank.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/131627-kingtiger-vs-superpershing-the-true-fact/

It was more heavily armored than the Tiger I. It's size and weight was a disadvantage in the Ardennes Offensive during the Battle of the Bulge. I would not wish to be in a Sherman and meet one head on.
    frinik
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 am

In a static ambush position though the Tiger II was hard to beat with its excellent optics, solid armour and high velocity gun. Plus it could pack 86 shells.
    plug_nickel
    plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am

Any news?
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:31 pm

plug_nickel wrote:Any news?
    Not yet Smile I'd like first to finish campaign "Steel Beast" with a "Panther".
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:01 pm

I've found one fair-tail story of the Soviet propaganda where tank T-34/85 under command of Lieutenant Oskin destroyed THREE and captured THREE TigerII from the 501 s.Pz.Abt. Battle had place on August 1944 near village of Ogledow, Poland.
    In spite it is a fake story as Kolobanov's firearms, this scenario looks good, if we play for the TigerII! At this moment we've the new polygon "Dub" by Deviator where presented many bog areas and many pillboxes made of wood, which is suitable for the mission.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/07/king-tigers-at-ogledow.html
    On the night before the battle, August 11th, 1944, a T-34-85 commanded by Guards Junior Lieutenant Oskin, and another T-34-85, commanded by Guards Captain Ivushkin, accompanied by infantry tank riders, approached the village of Ogledow.
    The morning of August 13th was very foggy, concealing the Soviet ambush. At 7:00 am, on August 13th, Ivushkin reported hearing a number of tanks approaching. These were eleven of the brand new Tiger II tanks. The new Tigers were accompanied by several APCs with infantry.
    The tanks became visible to the 53rd's GTB. This is how the commander describes what happened next:
    "A monstrous tank emerged from the valley. It moved in bursts, losing traction in the sand. Major Korobov radioed in from the left flank: "They're coming." I replied "Don't be hasty! Open fire from 400 meters." Another tank emerged, and then a third. They were very much spaced out, by the time the third tank emerged, the first already passed Ivushkin's ambush. "Fire?", he inquired. "Fire!", I replied. I saw the haystack that Oskin's tank was camouflaged as move. His gun barrel emerged. It twitched, again and again. Oskin opened fire. I saw how black holes appeared in the sides of enemy tanks, one after another. One tank started burning. The third rotated his front to face Oskin, but his track was knocked off, he could not complete his maneuver, and was finished off.
    By the end of the day, the 53rd occupied the south side of Height 247.9, 300 meters eastward of Ogledow. Two tanks from the 3rd Tank Battalion and a company of submachine gunners were sent into the village, and cleared it of the enemy by 8:00 am. Among the houses of the village stood more Tiger IIs that retreated when the attack failed and were abandoned by their crews. Only then did the Soviets realize that they were dealing with new tanks. Oskin initially reported that he knocked out 3 Panthers.
    V. S. Arhipov describes these events: "Two hours later, relative silence stood over the battlefield. Scouts reported that there are two undamaged tanks closer to Ogledow. They were stuck in the sand at the turn. On our left flank, we found another one. It drove into a swampy pool and was left there. The crew was in such a hurry to leave, they forgot their documents. Turns out, these new tanks weighed 68 tons..."

https://elgri.livejournal.com/tag/%D0%9E%D1%81%D1%8C%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD
    lockie
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie Today at 4:42 pm

Let's try the mission N3! It is based on the fake story near Ogledow, Poland, August 1944, but nobody prove it or to refute. There will be only one exaggeration that mission will be devoted to Feldwebel Kurt Knispel who is the best sniper in the Wehrmacht panzer forces! Fighting

The plan is:
    1. attack the enemy defence line and repel the possible tank counter-attack
    2. capture the village of Ogledow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:27 pm