» Screenshots funny and serious :)
by wiekniera Today at 5:02 am

» Місії на замовлення/Mission request
by mechanic Yesterday at 1:24 pm

» Antialiasing
by wiekniera Yesterday at 3:13 am

» Video from SF
by geoweb35 Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:14 pm

» Missions by Deviator (Місії ад Девіатора)
by mechanic Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:28 pm

» Keyboard mapping error STA 3.2
by wiekniera Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 pm

» Why js3 gunsight circle is to small in normal view?
by lockie Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 am

» In Memory Of...
by KurtTank Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 am

January 2019

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Kurt Knispel' mission (King Tiger), campaign Mein Panzerkampf

frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Kurt Knispel' mission (King Tiger), campaign Mein Panzerkampf

Post by frinik on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 pm

There\s only one recorded duel between the Tiger II and the Pershing which took place in late March or April in Eastern Germany. The Tiger II fired first but the shot went wide. The Pershing shot next but while the shot was short but an incredible feat of luck the shot hit the ground ricocheted and hit the Tiger II underneath where the armour was thin. The shot penetrated and hit the ammo which blew up taking the entire unfortunate crew with it in a fiery explosion.

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:36 pm

frinik wrote:There\s only one recorded duel between the Tiger II and the Pershing which took place in late March or April in Eastern Germany. The Tiger II fired first but the shot went wide. The Pershing shot next but while the shot was short but an incredible feat of luck the shot hit the ground ricocheted and hit the Tiger II underneath where the armour was thin. The shot penetrated and hit the ammo which blew up taking the entire unfortunate crew with it in a fiery explosion.

I believe that is an unconfirmed report based on a book by the US tank commander.  I think you are referring to an incident in Dessau, Germany in April, 1945.  There are no German records of any Tiger II units within 75 miles of Dessau in April 1945.  There are also no photos of the destroyed Tiger II in Dessau.  Given the notoriety of the Tiger II and the fact that the US occupied the area it is reasonable to think that there would be plenty of photographs of such a remarkable event as the first duel between the new Pershing and Germany's biggest tank.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/131627-kingtiger-vs-superpershing-the-true-fact/
    frinik

Post by frinik on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 am

Thanks Tanker. I read the whole exchange .Phew what a toxic community! The account I told I read in another forum; I think it was the Axis Forum a few years back. At that time the story was not questioned. Now the record is straight and no such duel ever took place.

As for calling the Tiger II junk in fact when properly maintained it was a good tank and no worse than the other big cats:

From 15 December 1944, the statistics show much improved reliability. 80 percent of Tiger IIs were fully operational, as compared to only 61% of Panthers and 72% of the always reliable Panzer IVs. Subsequent failures, all duly noted, were attributed only to the lack of lubricants and spare parts, a common fate shared by all units until May 1945.

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I've found out that Allies on July 1944 had the next appropriate tank destroyer to fight with a "Tiger". All of them were equipped with 17pdr gun (76mm).
    1. Tank M4 Sherman "Firefly" (presented in STA) were built ~2000pcs

2. Tank Mk VIII Challenger (A30) were built ~500pcs

3. SPG M10 "Achilles" were built ~800pcs

4. SPG Mk I "Archer" were built ~700pcs

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Tanker wrote:
    frinik wrote:There\s only one recorded duel between the Tiger II and the Pershing which took place in late March or April in Eastern Germany. The Tiger II fired first but the shot went wide. The Pershing shot next but while the shot was short but an incredible feat of luck the shot hit the ground ricocheted and hit the Tiger II underneath where the armour was thin. The shot penetrated and hit the ammo which blew up taking the entire unfortunate crew with it in a fiery explosion.

I believe that is an unconfirmed report based on a book by the US tank commander.  I think you are referring to an incident in Dessau, Germany in April, 1945.  There are no German records of any Tiger II units within 75 miles of Dessau in April 1945.  There are also no photos of the destroyed Tiger II in Dessau.  Given the notoriety of the Tiger II and the fact that the US occupied the area it is reasonable to think that there would be plenty of photographs of such a remarkable event as the first duel between the new Pershing and Germany's biggest tank.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/131627-kingtiger-vs-superpershing-the-true-fact/

It was more heavily armored than the Tiger I. It's size and weight was a disadvantage in the Ardennes Offensive during the Battle of the Bulge. I would not wish to be in a Sherman and meet one head on.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 am

In a static ambush position though the Tiger II was hard to beat with its excellent optics, solid armour and high velocity gun. Plus it could pack 86 shells.
    plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am

Any news?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:31 pm

plug_nickel wrote:Any news?
    Not yet Smile I'd like first to finish campaign "Steel Beast" with a "Panther".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 am